DD214 Form Instructions – The DD Form 214 (or DD Form 214) is an official document issued by is issued by the Army, Air Force and Navy issue to discharge or separate military service members. The DD214 indicates your status as a retired or separated military service member and provides specifics about your service, including awards and decorations. It is possible to request a DD214 online in person, in person, or as a hardcopy. You can request your D214 from the Department of Defense and Veteran Affairs if you’re an active military member or a veteran receiving benefits for veterans. All military service personnel in all branches receive a Report on Separation after the discharge.
Sample of DD214 Form, Please do not download this form as this only for sample, follow the instructions below on how to get DD214 form.
Who can obtain a D214?
You must be the next-of-kin of the deceased or the military member to fill out the DD form 214.
Do I get a DD214 when I am re-enlisted or promoted?
No. No. A certificate may have been issued stating that you were dismissed from active service pending your reenlistment or advancement. But, this is often a formality and protocol to be followed as part of the promotion/reenlistment process.
When will I receive my DD214
Typically the DD214 is issued at the last out-processing date prior to retirement or separation.
What if I have to replace my DD214?
If you want to replace the DD form 214 if it is lost, you must request a new copy. The DD214, your most important postmilitary document is essential. The DD214 is your most important post-military document. Treat it like a marriage or divorce certificate.
How to Get DD214 Form Instructions Form ?
- Option 1: Request your copy online by visiting the National Archives Website
- Option 2: Mail the DD Form 214 request with Standard Form 180 (SF-180) to National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138
- Request a copy from your losing unit’s orderly room or command support staff
- Get an electronic copy via the VA eBenefits site
- Fax a DD Form 214 request with Standard Form 180 (SF-180) to NPRC (314) 801-9049